New Room, New Chalkboard


The other day I told my good friend that I was moving to a new classroom.  He's also a teacher in a district about an hour away from mine.  This is how our conversation followed...

Him: "Nice, so now you have air-conditioning?"

Me: "No, but I have windows!!"  (I really stressed the "s" sound in windows as my last classroom just had one.)

Him: "Uhh ok.  So you have a Smartboard now?"

Me: "No."

Him: "Whiteboard?"

Me: "No, but now I have TWO blackboards."

Him:  "How is that better?"

Me:  "It's two! and my room is bigger!"

The conversation pretty much ended from there.  My friend congratulated me but didn't know how I could possibly teach without a Smartboard.  It is true...technology gives us some pretty amazing tools, but at the end of the day, it isn't the Smartboard that teaches the kids, right?

While perceived as devastating to my friend, I really don't mind my school environment.  We have laptops for the kids to borrow and projectors for each classroom, so I do implement technology in my teaching.  Still- I feel that my very best lessons have stemmed from an inspiring writing prompt, pencils, and paper.  Or a really deep conversation about universal themes relating to our class novel.  And so, I honestly don't care about being "Smartboard-less."  I loved my former classroom with the blue chalkboard.  And I will love my future classroom with two black chalkboards.

Technically, this will be my very last blurb from the blue chalkboard.  (Although I will keep my blog name!)

I know that I haven't been the best of bloggers.  This year has been challenging with a lot of changes.  Next year will be my dream come true.  My schedule goes back to teaching just English.  I'll have 3 English classes that will meet for two periods each.  Two fifth grade classes and one 6th grade.  I am so happy to have this time again.  I'm also feeling inspired and rejuvenated.  I am thinking about starting an Instagram account as it might be easier to keep up with and fun to add!  Any ideas for a name?  (Blurbs from the Blackboard?) Should I keep it the same as my blog?


Thanks for reading!  Please comment as I love getting feedback!


     

Comments