Notebooks, Notebooks, Notebooks!!!


Language Arts really is one subject that encompasses many mini-subjects/topics.  Reading, Writing, Grammar, Vocabulary, and (though minor) Spelling.

In the past, I have grappled at getting my students organized with large binders, and dividers for these areas of study.  It was never a major issue when I taught regular ed. and honors classes.  Since my school started using me and my sped. Cert. to teach lower level L.A. classes, the whole binder situation was NOT working out. 

This is my organizational system this year.  Because I was able to order compositional (marble) notebooks, I offered students two and asked them to supply two.

Reading NB (divided into notes and journal sections)
Writing NB  (divided into notes and journal sections)
Vocab. NB (Word of the Day and “other” section)
Grammar NB (Problem of the Day and notes section)

So far, no lost papers, kids have remembered their notebooks and no major issues.  I have to say I am quite satisfied with the set- up for this year.

But as of lately I’ve been reading about interactive notebooks…I’ve tried to implement this concept in my own way when having the kids take their notes.  (I may try to go more full force next year.)  MY QUESTION FOR INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK USERS IS… How do you handle pasting in of papers?  Do they end up falling out?  Any recommendations?

Although my kids do take notes sometimes, sometimes it’s just easier for me to type and print the notes for some of my classified/IEP kids.  It hasn’t been too bad yet, but I am afraid that it will be getting tedious throughout the year…


Comments

  1. Hi there! I love interactive notebooks although I mainly use the notebooks with social studies and science, I think that they would work well for English as well.

    I have my kids paste in cloze notes and such. Never really becomes a problem (I teach 5th grade) but does require a ton of modeling the first few weeks---then your golden.

    Keep searching the web...So many great ideas out there. Here is one I just found: http://teachingwithatouchoftwang.blogspot.com/2012/08/social-studies-interactive-notebook.html

    Good luck!

    Lattes and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link! I' m definitely doing my research and utilizing this year as my experimentation year. Hopefully I'll have learned enough to make it easy and smooth next year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment