Annotating informational text






Yup, that's right, I'm embarking on this journey starting in less than 24 hours! I'm looking forward to giving my students strategies to succeed while reading nonfiction texts, but at the same time I am fearful that they will only want to highlight and not get into the nitty gritty of it.  I'm about to look through my college freshman textbooks to show them how highlighting is not always the magical strategy it's cracked up to be!  

Is anyone else with me on getting into close reading and annotating?  Any advice?  This is the first time I am teaching it formally.  

If interested, I made up a packet of reference sheets to be put in my students' ISNs.  I think I'll photo-copy on pretty paper for them.   A nice way to start off the new year.  
At first, I tried to make it more interactive in the way of a foldable, but in the end, just went with the old fashioned reference sheet.  Thoughts/feedback?  

Comments

  1. My biggest piece of advice is to take away the highlighters. Despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get my students to understand that highlighting does not equal annotating. I finally took them away after weeks and weeks of getting back Articles of the Week that were highlighted up and down but lacked any evidence of thinking. It takes a LOT of modeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I started out my lesson by telling my students about my first semester as a college student and thinking that highlighters were the best and how I slowly learned otherwise. I'm going to start modeling next week.

    I've been wanting to do an "Article of the Week" but just haven't ever gotten around to it or took the time to think it out. Do you mind telling me how you assign/organize that?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment