A collection of ISNs and a preview of my lesson on ROAR/Figurative Language Freebie

 I never did get to post a picture of my students’ ISNs (and writing journals)!  Aren’t they all so cute and unique?!  We are keeping one Interactive Student Notebook (for lessons), one writing journal (for prompts/first drafts/any writing activities) and one folder for any excess handouts/work that can be thrown out eventually. 





Also, this week was the cumulating activity for our Figurative Language Unit.
Thankfully, students all passed the Figurative Language test and we can move on!   The day before the test though, I played the Katy Perry music video of “Roar” and had my students break down and analyze the figurative language in the lyrics.








My resource students simply highlighted the lyrics in one color and did not highlight any “repeats”.  That would have been too overwhelming.  Then they worked on enrichment activities on the figurative language examples in the song.




My regular ed. class already knew the song by heart and started singing it as soon as I passed out the lyrics!  We also had a nice and mature discussion on the meanings of all figurative language examples  in the song, and they clearly understood all, so I didn’t feel the need to shove worksheets on them.  Instead, I had them do a “quick-write” on their opinion of the song and the theme of it.





Also-very exciting- my students are mostly girls in this class and sounded BEAUTIFUL when singing the song in class.  We are now planning on making a music video of the song.  The students will sing themselves, act it out (to some degree), and hold up posters explaining some of the idioms in this song!

 I’m excited to work on this with them. J  They are also all going to wear animal print for the video.  Don’t they just sound adorable?  I love working with girls.  





(Get the activity here at:  http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Roar-Figurative-Language-979441)

Comment with your email and I''ll send it to you for free! =)

Comments

  1. We are working on figurative language this week and some next week. I would love to have this activity. My email address is dwilhelm03@windstream.net. Thanks, Denise Golden

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment