Reading Lovers and Balanced Literacy

So all week long as I happily chattered about how good my kids were I kept getting the same response: “honeymoon period”.   Now I KNOW it is the “honeymoon period” in which students are at their very best, but you just can’t LOVE to read during the start to school and then hate it afterwards. 

The past week and a half I have been riding such a euphoric teacher wave because my students all love to read!  That’s right people!  They have not just checked out one book from my library, but two or three!  (“Ms. C, I need a book for at home reading and at school reading.”)  Pardon the cliché, but this is music to my ears!  Also, after showing my students the 8 or so books that I read over the summer, a few asked to read my books!  (I lent two books out after gaining parental permission and hid away anything I didn’t want to lend out.) 

Three years ago, my school adopted the Balanced Literacy approach to reading and writing instruction.  For two or three years, I made attempts, but personally felt that it did not work.  Now I think this is my year! These kids have been taught with the Balanced Lit. model since 4th grade and don’t find it odd to be asked to read a personal reading book in class.  They know how to use post-its to track reading and so on.  The first homework assignment I gave my students was due yesterday. It was a letter to me about their book.  What a relief I had when reading those letters!  Student writing clearly showed comprehension to the reading and development of ideas. 

By the way…this is how I have structured my daily lessons (in case anyone’s curious- I know I always am about other teachers’ class organization).
Period 1 of Block
Break
Period 2 of block
-Students copy word of the day into their WOD packets daily (teacher made packet)

-I discuss word-class shares sentences

-I go over the day’s objectives, hw, any other business to take care of

-possible mini-lesson on reading/writing strategy I want students to use for Daily 3 work

-Daily 3 choice work
(Daily 3 is word work, reading to self, and work on writing- inspired from Daily 5 book)
(Students can now choose to read or work on one of the 2 writing prompts that must be completed weekly.)

(During this time, I will meet with any students that need help.  Mid to late week, I will confer with students on their work and let them know their Daily 3 grade for the week.  They are graded on word work, reading work, writing work, and overall behavior/effort  for that week.)

When the bell rings, students know Daily 3 work is done and they may go on break.

As long as there are no behavior problems, this is the students’ time to do whatever they need to do.

I ask no questions.  They may go to another floor, visit a friend, etc.  But there are only 3 minutes, so they know they must do it quickly.

When we are back in class, students are usually not permitted to leave the room.  If they want/need to, they must pay me a token (these are earned and traded in for prizes).  I believe this is fair because my time with the students is important and also because all students have been allowed their break to take care of needs. 
-This is my direct instruction/lesson of the day.

-      I am implementing an Interactive Student Notebook, so this period is not all lecture, students will be actively taking notes, cutting,  gluing, etc. 
-      Once my technology starts working, I will be using videos to go along with my lessons and modeling writing for students. 


 What reading strategies do you all use for independent reading in the classroom? Now that I can implement this, I’m eager to gain ideas!

Comments