It's Monday What are You Reading?



Well I guess that I’m in an adolescent fiction book mood.  More accurately, I’m in the mood to read and lazy to find books outside of my apartment.  They’re here, unread by me, and look interesting…so…why not?
This week I started reading the curious incident of the dog in the night-time written by Mark Haddon.  (<FYI> For you fellow grammar Nazis out there: Haddon intentionally does not capitalize any of his title.)

I’m about halfway through; evidently it’s an easy read. From what I can tell you so far, the book is told from the perspective of an autistic teenager, Chris.  He is very smart yet very particular.  For example, Chris will not eat foods that are yellow or brown because of the negative associations he has to these colors (e.g.: yellow fever). The book starts off when Chris wants to go pet his neighbor’s dog Wellington.  From a distance, it looks like Wellington is sleeping, but as Chris gets closer, he sees that Wellington was killed with a pitchfork. Chris begins his story by telling the readers that he is writing a mystery…the mystery of who murdered Wellington.  Instead, Chris is learning more about his life and family. 



So far this book is catchy!  As a special education teacher, I am intrigued at getting into the mind of an autistic boy.  Although this book has cursing, it doesn’t take away from the story.  It just makes it more real.  I recommend this book to anyone ages 13/14 and up!  

Comments