Nonfiction Strategies


So way back when, I came across the Teachers Pay Teachers Store and downloaded a bunch of those “just-in-case-I-might-need-them” freebies.  Now that I am in deep with my non-fiction study and needing my students to understand the actual skill, I thankfully had a wealth of resources.  Being that our school’s textbooks are ancient and I don’t have any teacher’s guides or any other resources, the TPT store is like a breath of fresh air. 
Being that my kids know Nonfiction, why we read it, examples of it, text features and text structures, I’m pretty confident they can tackle my next activity.  
Today and tomorrow I have a sort of pen pal activity planned.  I will give each student a piece of Scholastic nonfiction writing.  They must write a letter to their fellow student on how that student should go about reading the article. 
Then, the next day, each student will get to read the article and the advice from a peer in either their class or another one. 
I figure this “forces” the kids to read nonfiction and apply the skills I have taught them in a fun “masked” way.  

Comments