Classroom Tour (Blast down Memory Lane)

Wow, where has the summer even gone? I feel like it was just the beginning of July and I was so excited to scour Pinterest and read everyone's blogs on "back to school". I took five grad classes over the summer to up my pay rate a bit (I do not have my Masters yet.) and between that, tutoring, and a bit of vacationing, my blog has been abandoned!

Now that I'm back in a routine a bit and (ALMOST) done with my fifth class, I can get back into the blogging world.

So to start off with, I so enjoyed the post of past classroom from Jen at Teaching Teens in the 21st and would also like to share with you my very own blast from the past of classrooms. :)

This is a bulletin board from my VERY first year of teaching back in 2008! I remember being SO proud of this Colonial Life writing activity and couldn't wait to share it. Any other classroom photos have the kids in it and trust me- it was not exactly beautiful anyway.

This bulletin board is from my first year teaching in the position and school I am currently in. It is an old school and I did love this classroom because it had been a chemistry HS class a looong time ago and had some cool features like this sink. I also remember being so excited to put up this Thesaurus bulletin board and thought it was so inventive of me. ;) Looking at it now, I cringe at how haphazard and almost ugly it looks. I think I am becoming a bulletin board snob in my post "Post-Pinterest" years.

Ahhh...the following photos show my the classroom I was thrown into awarded when the maternity leave position opened a door to a tenure track position. Three years ago and yay! I finally got my tenure this year!
It was a gross, little, hot room with a smelly carpet and I felt like I was going to suffocate throughout the year. Nevertheless, I was excited to start and went with a traditional/old-school/vintage/apples/owls theme. LOL I swear it made sense in my head.

I was super excited about that stool I found on someone's curb and painted. I think this year was the first year that I tried my hand at an actual theme or consistency in the classroom.













Next up, I was craving some brights and had some leftover play props from The Little Mermaid sooo...



I went with a beach theme! Check out my new floor! Between that and removing a file cabinet, I felt like the room opened up a ton. By the way, you can see remnants of my Class Thesaurus on my bulletin board for the last time. After that year, I punched holes, put them in a binder, and still do use these as a reference.





Here you can spot my play prop proudly displayed next to my "Pinterest Chalkboard Paint Creation". Did anyone else get sucked into this fad? I know I did. I used it that year only. It was really hard to erase and did not stay hung up with the command hook. If anyone has any ideas for how to use it as a permanent fixture (not erase/not hanging up) please let me know, since I still have and do like that board.

And then, for last year's classroom theme, Schoolgirlstyle came into my world and classroom with the most beautiful yellow, gray, and blue decor called Sunny Skies collection. If you are interested, check it out here: schoolgirlstyle.com





















Ahh I still do love this line of Schoolgirl style and will probably use it again in the future. It is so soothing and incorporates my favorite colors, yellow and blue! I still have my chalkboard sectioned off the same way this year, and have some similarities in my classroom for this year. One thing that I did change (aside from decor) is that I am not using the birthday chart again. It was the first year I had ever used one and it really was not referenced much during the year. Basically, it didn't help me so much and I STILL forgot the kids' birthdays. I plan to write them on my personal/desk calendar this year in order to remember them and give each student a little something on their birthday.

New classroom pictures and much more coming soon!

Thanks for reading as I took my little walk down my memory lane of classrooms.

Happy weekend!

-Lisa


P.S. Because I wanted to use both cliches and at the same time not sound cliche, I merged both in my post title. ;)

Comments