Short stories for 6th grade?


Weekend schedule: 
Friday: VEG OUT/ cook food since I didn’t eat lunch
Saturday: shopping and lunch with friends, attempt to start lesson plans
Sunday ( today)
Well since my darling puppy did not allow me to make any progress with my lesson plans, I’m doing it all today…oh and wait…I have back to school night TOMORROW!  JEEZE!  Just when I think I have a chance to breathe after completing my lesson plans for the week, I realize I now have to prep for Back to School night.  And poor puppy is NOT going to be happy about that tomorrow. 
Anyway, since our school is now big into Balanced Literacy, I have been looking for a short story or two that I could use for teaching the basics of narrative elements and figurative language.  The Balanced Lit. model has the teacher use one story to teach one topic one day, another topic another day, and so on and so forth.  This way the kids are familiar with the story and it is easier for them to be more interactive in weeding out story elements. 

After much searching on the internet, I found Tuesday of the Other June by Norma Fox Mazer.  I like that it is about bullying and taking a stand.  In addition to teaching narrative elements, it will be a good way to talk about bullying and how to handle it.  I definitely recommend this story. 

Does anyone else out there have any other short story recommendations?  Our school does not have updated lit. textbooks, so I like to find a lot of resources on my own.  Feel free to share if you know any.  

Comments

  1. I like all. Of the Guys Read collections-- Funny Business, Thriller, and Sports Pages. I like that the stories are for middle graders and not adults. Kids need to know that there is good literature written just for them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment